Monday, February 15, 2010

A years worth of Church Newsletter Articles

Picture this--

It's Tuesday morning, the only morning during the week that I get to sleep in and I am doing exactly that. Then suddenly I hear my iPhone ring! CPC is on the caller ID (that's the church I work for). Then I realize that I have once again forgotten that it was my week to write the cover article for the church newsletter. So half asleep I answer the phone and make some excuse and promise that I will have it as soon as possible. Then starts the long and sometimes stressful process of coming up with 350 words to put on the cover of The Covenant Window (newsletter title). I'm sure you are saying "350 Words? That's it? Piece of cake!", well it's not. You have to remember my readers are mostly retirees and a great number of them are former educators. Our congregation is chock-full of former professors and educational administrators, not to mention the rest of the bunch who are also well educated. Ross is a retired English professor from the University of Alabama and he loves to comment on my writing. But with an audience like this one feels a little pressure to "WRITE GOOD." I personally think that most of my articles are cheesy and sometimes lame but aside from the occasional punctuation error or my refusal to proof read, I get pretty positive feedback. I must confess that I do on occasion read others writing for inspiration on the Tuesdays that I feel unoriginal but for the most part it is all inspired from daily events in my life. I decided to share them with you so over the next few days I'm going to post my articles. I hope you enjoy... or not whatever... haha

1 comment:

Pastor Tim said...

This is a great idea - who needs a newsletter article anyway? It makes for good blog fodder if you ask me.