Monday, February 15, 2010

Anyone who starts their newsletter article with "I enjoy eating-- too much" is probably a fatty... haha



I enjoy eating -- too much, I guess.

I really enjoy shopping at Sam's Club especially on the weekends, the free sample days! As you come around the corner there they are in the little Dixie cups or on a tray with colored toothpicks, displayed in all their glory by a hostess at the end of an aisle.

"Buy one get one free today. Wouldn't they be great for dinner?" she suggests, hoping I'll put some in my cart. I don't know why though, it's not like she gets commission for selling frozen fajitas. But I must confess that little sample does make me think they would be great for dinner.

Last Sunday morning when we took communion, I thought about it as a small portion from a different kind of Feast. I thought about the taste of the bread on my tongue and the sweetness of the juice, and I began to imagine.

I think about what it would have been like to sit there with the disciples at the Last Supper. I can imagine listening to their conversations, laughing, and just enjoying fellowship. While I wasn't there to be served personally, I feel like they saved some for me so I could have a taste and feel a part of the great fellowship of Jesus' Table that now circles the world.



Or is the bread and cup just a little taste of a feast to come, the fellowship at Christ's Table in heaven? The Bible speaks of drinking from the cup with Jesus in the Kingdom of God; of sitting down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; of participating in the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. The tiny portion I taste on Sunday morning whets my appetite and reminds me of my personal invitation to this Feast.

It's not much to eat, I suppose -- a fragment of bread and a sip, just a sip of juice. But it's enough to recall who I am. To realize how privileged I am to be able to call myself a follower of Christ. How awesome is it to know that my name appears on the guest list for the Great Feast to come?

"As often as you eat this bread and drink this cup," Paul tells us, "you proclaim the death of Jesus until he comes." Yep, it's a pretty tiny portion of the Feast, but it's enough for now. More than enough.



In Christ
Matt


1 comment:

Pastor Tim said...

This was great. I like the sam's club metaphor for as a taste of the feast.